Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Monuments Men

So I started the Monuments Men by Robert Edsel...I am about 7% in (I LOVE this feature of reading on a kindle app...it tells you how far along you are in pages and percentage!). At first I was concerned I wouldn't get into it because it reads better than a textbook, but not really like a novel either. It's odd. But I decided to push through the first chapter and I am really enjoying it. It's super interesting.

Like...I may be putting myself out there as a history fool but I didn't realize that Hitler was SO SO SO obsessed with artwork. I didn't realize that he got denied into an art school, and it made him obsessed with proving them wrong. He had a room-sized replica of what he wanted to build to display all the artwork he collected and his goal would be to one day be able to sit and eat lunch and have his dog by him and be able to look at his favorite art pieces whenever he felt like it (not a bad goal, sounds great...I just am not up for killing thousands of people to get there).

So far the story is really just setting up the scene. Hitlers obsession with art, the art professional's game plans in how to protect it, etc. We haven't gotten to the Monuments Men quite yet, but are getting there.

I'm so glad I'm in a reading phase right now. I go through reading phases and not reading phases. Reading really makes me think about things a lot. And I swear it makes me a bigger dreamer. I always finish reading and feel like I have more ideas for my life. No matter what the subject. What a great thing!


7 comments:

  1. Donuts for breakfast! Oh man! Donuts always make me sick, but I still crave them sometimes :) I've never heard of this book. I love reading too. But I've been feeling frustrated. I like science fiction but it's all so intense and creepy. It makes me feel like I can't even finish Divergent! But brainy books just wear out my brain and I need breather books inbetween learning new stuff! Glad you're reading a cool book! I love learning things. Love you. You looked so cute all prego on instagram. We're going to DisneyParis tomorrow!!!! YEA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessssss I'm the same with reading! Phases here and there. Sigh. I love this idea of reading the books on the list. Oh, and I always always read your blog, and I sometimes can't comment. So I just wanted to say that ever since you wrote about hashtag usage, it drives me crazy when I see people not using it right! I hate it that they just make run-on sentences that really don't have a lot to do with any specific subject. Jimmy Fallon did this thing with Justin Timberlake about hashtags - have you seen it? I promise, I'm not like obsessed with him. He just does funny things and I saw that a while back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that book sounds fascinating. I am the same way with reading and being a dreamer! You put it so perfectly! Anyway, I also commented on your Idaho Love post just now. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to see this movie! I tried to read The Book Thief. I struggled so badly to get into that thick book and finally gave up. I figured watching the movie would be the next best thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that movie looks so good, I had NO idea about any of that regarding hitler. News to me. Love you! and so happy you're in a reading phase right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no clue that was what that movie was about. I want to see the movie, but who knows if I can pull your dad off the couch to go!! love you!! I think it's so cool that you are reading again. I want to get back into reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really don't know what that book is about I did know about Hitlers obsession with art though. He really was an evil man. I have read a lot of materiel about the war and him. Don't know if I could really read anymore about that war. It was a really hard time, the Diary of Ann Frank was hard for me and that was the last thing I read about it. I was born in 1937 and the war ended in 1944. I was in second grade when the presidend announced the end of WW two. I was in my forties when I started to really study about it. I read a lot and watched a lot of movies and there were a lot of trials of the men that had a part of the gasing of the Jewish people. It was sad and depressing. I think Hitler was one of the anti Christs and was really evil. But I think we should all know about it and what happened to innocents at that time, and a lot of that type of thing is still happening in our world. I love you stay well

    ReplyDelete